Wednesday, June 04, 2008

No More Ideas?

I bought a skein of beautiful mohair (smooth)/wool at Wellington Fibers on Saturday during our knitting road trip (more about that later). It's lace weight and beautiful, but under 700yds. Pictures will come; I'm in a rush right now.
I have been thinking so hard what I want to do. I want a triangle shawl. But what? I've come to realize that there's basically three types 1)all over pattern, usually smaller scale motif (like the Flower Basket Shawl), maybe an extra border 2)bands of patterning 3)motifs that blend seamlessly into each other (like doilies).

I've done #1, and I've done #2 as baby blankets. But trying to find #3 as a triangle shawl....particularly as a free Internet pattern or single download pattern.....not easy! I toyed with doing my own banded design, maybe one pattern for much of it and then a deep border band of something else. But to me, it always looks like the designer/knitter got bored of the one pattern and started something else...unless it's blended REALLY well; and you just don't find that in free patterns. I don't have time to really design a #3....grafts and charts and swatches....
I thought about doing a #1 shawl....but I like larger motifs and they're a little harder I think to work with. And, it's the edgings that really make those stand out. Again, the #2 idea just wasn't calling to me.

I was flipping through IK Spring 2006 and came across the pattern for that scarf I started last summer that I haven't been too enthused with. I like the pattern, but doing something like 5 feet of it will bore me to death. I thought, hey, I could do it as a triangle shawl instead maybe. But it sure would be nice someday to publish my own designs....

Then I was browsing Knitspot's shop and got really annoyed with myself that I let myself start the Montego Bay scarf with my precious skein of Sea Silk. It really is an easy pattern, and it's nice to have it to tote around, but the yarn is so special it deserves more and I could just as easily be making a scarf like hers.

I've been looking through my stitch dictionaries a lot to find a lace pattern for a particular sweater pattern and haven't found anything like that dayflower tank/camisole I posted earlier. So, I'm looking in one book and there's two fairly large scale lace designs that I've always wanted to do something with. One has really nice diagonal lines with motifs scattered throughout. More on that in a second. I knew the last place I needed to look for ideas was Sivia Harding's site as I have always wanted to make the Diamond Fantasy shawl (and gee, being short, I could get a small shawl out of the Sea Silk!). While browsing around, I found this stole pattern. Yup, that's the pattern from my stitch dictionary I wanted to use, but as a stole instead of a triangle. Maybe I could morph the Montego Bay scarf into this, depending on the stitch count.....

While studying music, there was often a heated discussion about whether or not we would ever run out of truly unique/new musical ideas/compositions/motifs. Sometimes I feel this way with knitting too.

2 comments:

smariek said...

The hanging garden stole is pretty. Go for it! Then show us pictures... :-)

CatBookMom said...

I agree about wanting some really special pattern for Sea Silk. Anne Hanson (Knit Spot) has lots of lovely scarves. A new pattern I really like for a 400+/- yard singleton is Baxterknits new 'Hudson River' scarf; see her blog. She's charging $4 for the pattern, but it is going to show off your gorgeous yarn very well. Or there's the totally apropos 'Seaweed and Shells Scarf (http://tinyurl.com/6n58ag)

Enjoy the Sea Silk. It is truly lovely yarn to work with.