Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Mittens Again!

Did you get tired of all my mitten posts last winter?  Well, I'm back at it this year!  Especially since my favourite pair seems to be misplaced at my aunt's house (I hope that's where!).  My SIL also asked for a pair of warm mitts, so I'm trying out ideas.

In the past, I had seen felted mitten patterns, for e knitting machine, but they seemed too bulky.  Then I was reading a blog and she had made felted mittens from worsted weight yarn and they didn't have a bulky look, from what I could tell.  I thought I'd give them a go.

Of course, I wasn't going to do a swatch.  I measured after, and yes, my tension was a bit off, but hey.  They're being felted!  The big mistake I made was that after the ribbing, I missed going from T6 to T8 before the thumb gusset.  I noticed after taking off the thumbs, and just moved it right up to T8.  In the end, I liked the tighter wrist area but the thumb gussets needed stretching.
They went very quickly and even sewing up didn't take too long. 

I was surprised at how long the Patons Classic Wool took to felt this time.  It used to felt very easily!  I know they changed it from 100% merino and maybe this was new stock.

I'm quite pleased with them.  In the T6 area, there is still some stitch definition.  I like my mitts fairly snug fitting, and these fit my smallish hands fine.  I do think the green is a bit bright, LOL, especially against this black background.  They might be for my SIL, or they might be for me....I wish I liked doing embroidery, cause I think these need some details.  I don't really like buttons, though maybe I could find a decorative button.  I do have some sew on patches, like hearts, stars, snowflakes, skulls...maybe there's one in there.  Doing any of these things though means they become hand specific.

Yarn In:  16 153gr
Yarn Out:  77gr + 15 234gr = 15 311gr
Balance:  842gr more brought IN than out
Costs:  $378.91/365 days = $1.04/day

No comments: